Monday, July 05, 2010

Colts 2010 Day 35

 

It was rainy in Tiffin and the cooks all woke up with the same thought “Man it stinks for the kids to have to practice in the rain on a muddy field. What are the going to do” It was very refreshing to hear the members (My son Jacob was the first I heard but it was a recurring theme) say “Hey, the field is Astroturf. Who cares if it is raining”. This sums up my experience with the Colts. It doesn’t matter how many hours you ask them to work, how hard the task, how painful something is, they look on the bright side.

The Schroeder’s Left the tour today. We plan to post a detailed blog on our experience volunteering for the tour. This will include what we learned, how YOU can help to make the blog better and Why EVERYONE should do this. It isn’t easy, by any stretch of the imagination but rewarding beyond description. Right now we are not in a place that we can do it but STAY TUNED!

If you are a parent, know this - As I heard Greg say at my first camp and, man did it resonate – “Your kids are NOT normal. Your kids are mutants”

We had an awesome time on the cook truck! Going to take a nap!

Schroeders

 

Volunteers

Jack W Head Cook Shelly G

Anita N

Debbie L Melanie B  

 

Schedule

 

7:00 Wake/Eat 5:00 Meal 3
8:00 Stretch 6:00 Rehearsal
8:45 Visual 7:30 Performance continue rehearsal
12:00 Meal 2 9:00 Eat/Pack Load
1:00 Brass Laundry 11:00 Depart for Lincoln NE
3:30 Percussion/Rifles Practice  

 

Menu

Meal 1 Meal 3
Pancakes (almost 400. That was fun!)
Sausage
Fajitas
Fiesta Rice
Corn
Fruit Cups
Meal 2 Meal 4
Must Goes Chicken Nuggets
French Fries

 

Tomorrow – Lincoln NE

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

As a grandmother wanting to know how my grandson is doing I appreciate your daily updates. It makes me feel in touch with him. Thank you for all you have done to let us know what's going on everyday!

Rod said...

Josh, what a great post! Thank ou so much for keeping the VCT alive. I really enjoyed reading your posts of the last few days when we were on tour together.

I am so glad you got to experience the truck, the kids, the schedule, the chaos, and the amazing wonder of these kids and this actvity. I really enjoyed getting to know you and Lindy as fellow cooks!

As you can now understand, it is truly one of the most rewarding things I have ever done (and I have volunteered my whole life). My son is pretty quiet on whether me being there means much to him or not, but I belieive it truly matters. And, as you experienced, the friendships you develop, plus witnessing the passion and dedication of the kids, is well, beyond what any words can describe.

The emotional and physical strain on the members is amazing, but as you said, they are positive, so polite and appreciative of the cooks, and have a work ethic, dedication, and drive that is hard to describe.

Anyway, thanks. And yes, to the parents out there who have not yet spent time on the cooktruck: It's exhausting for sure, but it is truly the only way to understand what your child is experiencing and becoming. You owe it to yourself, your chld, as well as all the members. You will not regret it.

I could go on and on and on and on.... But, bed calls. Sadly, I had to re-enter the real world and must return to work tomorrow. I am so looking forward to 'escaping' to the cooktruck again later this month with all of my best friends!

Rod

Schroeder said...

Test, We are having trouble with the comments count updating. Just turned off moderation. Checking to see if this helps.

Anonymous said...

You guys are awesome!!. I am so jealous of the time you get to spend with these kids. I myself have volunteered with a High School Band/Drumline and it is quite grueling but enjoyable. I can only imagine that the experience with the Drum Corp is 10 times the work, but 10 times the enjoyment.

I hope to be able to volunteer my time soon.