Sunday, August 08, 2004

I can't believe it's over

Well, the Speers (all four of us) are home in West Des Moines. Drove straight through from Denver after finals. Long and tiring, but not too bad with 3 drivers. As I write this, the remaining corps members, drivers, staff and volunteers are still on the long bus ride home to Dubuque. We all wish them a safe, uneventful journey.

We just watched the DVD from semifinals and we all believe now more than ever that the Colts hit a peak for 2004 at semifinals that -- all things being equal -- could have and should have landed them in finals. It was an amazing performance, in person from the front row of Invesco at Mile High and on DVD, that all the Colts should take pride in. As Greg said, don't ever let anyone else decide for you how you've succeeded.

The entire finals experience was wonderful (except for traffic on the freeway). As always, the Colts and the people who love them made it that way.

There was a full crew of cooks and lots and lots of helpers.

At semifinals, Jody and I got to accompany the Colts through the stadium tunnel and out to the field (after a brief rain delay) and then got a front row seat for the Colts' smokin' performance. Check out www.colts.org in a few days to see photos. We then followed the Colts off the field for a very emotional corps meeting with lots of tears, hugs, smiles and many photos of family and friends. It was an experience not to be missed.

The whole crew of the Virtual Cooktruck continued to make many friends among Colt parents whom we hadn't met before. We met Emily's mom at the corps meeting and got to see Jessica's mom -- who David had talked to on the phone during tour -- in the stands on finals night.

Many memories. Many new friends. A "mile high" experience to top a terrific year.

Jody Glow contributed Blog comments from her hotel room. We never got an official Blog connection, but I'm sure there will be many recaps posted here. Please click on the comment link at the end of this post and share memories of the season.

The Blog Crew at home

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hello to the Colts family...

Whew....what a week in Denver! I can't say enough about the members of the Colts....and the staff...and the cooks.... The final days of any event are always the hardest....and this was no exception.

After watching this group from January camp until last Saturday's final corps meeting, I still am in awe of what these individuals accomplish in such a short period of time. From the first notes that are played in January to the emotions of the final practice on semi-finals Friday...what a family they have become.

My son has aged out...but will never forget the Colts as his second family. He feels these last two seasons were truly a gift...to be savored and never forgotten. The life lessons he has learned are unmeasurable!

As parents, we also feel very blessed that he chose the Colts, as we have made so many new and very dear friends over these past two years. It has been a privilege to be part of this organization and we will continue to support it in the future. I have already told Polly that I will be helping next year with the 2005 Colts. Summer would not be the same if I can't spend a week or two on the cooktruck.

We have played both the quarter and semi-final DVD's at least 5 times for anyone who walks into our house. They are truly impressed with the show. But nothing compares to watching it in person and following the corps outside Friday night at Invesco Field and be a part of the emotions that poured out of every individual after the final performance of the year. The love and admiration each individual had for the other was overwhelming. I hope they can all remember that feeling! I also hope they can learn to approach everyday life with the same emotion and dedication they showed this summer. Everyone will come out a winner!


So as the season ends...so must the Virtual Cooktruck Blog I imagine. Thanks to the writers and the contributers...you have made our summer much more enjoyable and have made a wonderful keepsake for our children. Just print out the monthly archives for each month and you will have a wonderful account of the Colts summer. What a memory for us and the kids.

Have to say bye for now....do me a favor and give your child that big hug they deserve for a job well done! A "I am so proud of you" wouldn't hurt either....each and every Colts member deserves that for the thrills and chills they have given us for another season.

Bye for now...

Jody Glowaski

Anonymous said...

Colts, Staff, and Volunteers,

I followed you all summer long, on this site, and many more each and every day.I can imagine what these last few days have been like, and I can't believe that only a year ago I was there with you. I remember Greg telling us to look around and say goodbye to everyone because you may never see then again. He's right, I haven't laid eyes on a single person from my colts family since Finals night, but I still think about them all every single day. I also think about the lessons that I learned on the road. I learned about dedication, discipline, pain, heartbreak, anger, sorrow, love, teamwork, and many more things that I use every day. I still have one more year that I can march, but I don't think that it's going to happen. Good Luck to all Colts, whether you have aged out, are still marching, or have yet to go to your first camp.

Dilan Ross-Back Field Conductor 2003