Sunday, August 29, 2004

It's a quiet week at the old cooktruck

I've been trying to get my mind back on work (oh yeah, there's that little matter of two 200-page books I'm supposed to sit down and write. First one's due, when?, November? No, October. Plenty of time....)

As I was saying, I really do try to think about work but then Katherine puts even more pictures up at colts.org and Iowa Public Television goes and replays "Celebration in Brass" (a.k.a. the Ankeny show) on Sunday evening.

As Jody said at the end of Sunday night's broadcast: "How sad." And it is sad that the 2004 Colts are gone forever. I still want to cry when I hear those guys play "Old Man River." And the blue flags at the end of that song just kill me. As you can probably tell from the pictures. Best damn show in drum corps this year. Hands down.

I got two good tapes of the IPTV broadcast this time (only one or two brief weather warnings in this one) and would share one with you guys who haven't seen the show. It's worth it, let me tell you. The only thing I ask is that you let me know who has the tape and that you agree to send the "traveling tape" along to the next person who requests it.

Send me an email at david.speer@meredith.com and I'll get the ball rolling. Don't offer to send me money. This is not a commercial deal. I don't want to violate anyone's copyright, so you have to agree not to make copies and sell them. (Can you tell I work for a publishing company that's really interested in protecting intellectual property?) I'm just making the offer as a service to those of you who live elsewhere. And Colts everywhere.

IPTV has a viewer response line (800-469-2788) so you can let them know what you thought of the broadcast and whether they should do similar types of programming in the future. (hint, hint)

Oh yeah. Work.

See ya.

david

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Cooktruck....

You are killing us with all these great pictures....What fun to relive the summer!

Most of the pictures thus far are from when I was on tour with the master picture taker. What fun to see the practice fields 2 blocks away from the school (you could hear music, but not find where it was coming from), the bread cabinet fiasco (what a pity that thing took such a tumble out the cooktruck door), morning cals in and out of the cooktruck...etc, etc, etc. Oh to be back on the road again.....

Hopefully, my tape of Ankeny show is being mailed by the Iowa State son today....he keeps promising to get it to us. Otherwise, I might take you up on your tape...

Hope all is well with the Colts family....just ordered from DCI the DVD and CD set for Div I...they promise delivery soon...then I can listen to CD's in the car of my favorite corps...#1 Colts...then a couple of others.

Have a great day everyone...Jody Glowaski

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,

It's Kent. Got the picture CD, haven't had a chance to breathe and/or open the box. Will do tonight, thanks for sending it.

By the way, as a guys with a BA and MA in English, you piqued my curiosity...what company do you work for and what are you writing? As an aspiring writer I just had to ask.

I'm going to try to get my thesis published (or some form of the project) someday, but right now I'm just focusing on some certification classes so I can teach!

Peace,

KL

Unknown said...

Kent,
I work for Meredith Corp. in Des Moines, publisher of Better Homes and Gardens magazine, although I don't work for the monthly magazine itself. I help oversee/edit the newsstand magazines about gardening. When I say I have to write a 200-page book, it's actually what we call a "bookazine" (ugly, ugly word) It's a magazine that is more of a soft-cover book, sold mostly in bookstores like B&N or Borders. One of them is called Dream Decks & Patios and the other one, the one that's due in October, is called Dream Gardens Across America.

thanks for asking.

david

Anonymous said...

Hey I was given a dvd copy of the ankeny show, if someone has a dvd burner around the central iowa area we could make a couple copies. It's really cool you can select the corps performance and just watch that without the rest of the show, or you can watch the show, or just retreat and america/o'canada. It's pretty cool. If someone in the central Iowa area has one drop me a line drumcorpsguy04@hotmail.com and we'll get that going. have fun everyone.

Joe Smith

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

It's Kent. If you ever do come accross a DVD recorder, let me know, I'd really like to see your broadcast. RIAA be darned!!! If you get it, shoot me a message at coltstenortech@yahoo.com

Hey David,

Sounds like a pretty cool job. Yeah, those are the magazines that my wife looks at and says "you're going to build this and that for me" and I reply "but we're renting..." but it is to no avail.

It also sounds like a world where words and deadlines meet ferociously. Hah. That last sentence reminds me of "Autumn Begins in Martin's Ferry, Ohio" by John Asherbury or James Wright or someone like that...something about "suicidally beautiful" bodies galloping terribly against each other or something like that. OK, I guess I'm tired.

Back to my homework and maybe some sleep?

KL coltstenortech@yahoo.com