Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Wow! They should have called it the "Colts Show"

Just got through watching (and taping) the IPTV broadcast of this year's "Celebration in Brass" in Ankeny. It had "Colts" written all over it. Every break between corps performances consisted of interviews with Colts members and staff. Greg was the "color commentator" for the show.

When Jody checked the blog, she discovered why. If you read the comments to the entry just below this one, you'd find out that the producer of the show marched Colts! (You have to read the comments to get ALL the good out of the blog. And while you're there, leave a comment of your own. It's free!)

As James McNab, the producer of the Celebration in Brass broadcast and a member of the 1998 Colts mellophone line, writes in his comment: "How much are the Colts going to be featured? A LOT!"

Boy, was he right. It was wall-to-wall Colts for two hours.

James goes on to say:

"Why, you ask, are the Colts featured more than anyone else? Three reasons...

1) The producer is an alumni of the corps
2) The producer is an alumni of the corps
3) The producer is an alumni of the corps"

Thanks, James. Great show. And a big THANKS from the blog gang for showing ALL the corps and the ENTIRE show for each and every one of them. DCI take note, please.

James also points out that the Celebration in Brass TV show is also airing on Mediacom's Connections Channel. I don't get cable, so I can't help you out with that. James says local listings should give air dates and that Mediacom already has shown it more times than IPTV ever will.

Loved the TV show. Saw some things on the broadcast that I didn't notice in person. And now I have 3 performances on video: Ankeny and Quarterfinals and Semis in Denver.

If you get a chance, catch the broadcast. You won't be disappointed. And here's hoping that James is already working on plans for next year's show.




4 comments :

Anonymous said...

#1, I thought the show was very good and very informative, especially for the casual person who might have been just flipping channels. So, good job James! However, #2, a few minor gripes. (because there are always gripes, no?) Not all of the corps were shown... where were the Colt Cadets? I think perhaps a little blurb of them, maybe even as just a filler between corps, would have been good. Just to let the people in the viewing area know that the drum corps experience also exists for younger kids. And, I personally would have liked to have seen the drum major salutes. Also, if at all possible, perhaps next year you might do some research and inform the camera man of obvious points that he wants to focus on. Several of the more visual forms were missed (having seen all of the corps numerous times I know this) while the camera just lingered on small groups doing nothing at the time. But, please, I don't mean to offend. I thought it was a great show and I hope you do it again next year.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to produce this show. I sat with my Colts member last night and watched the show from beginning to end. It was great to see that excitement in his eyes. Of course I got to hear all the comments from him about the other corps shows. What he liked/disliked but the best comment of the night was "Boy I can't wait until December camp".

To the Colts Staff: Thanks for helping to make our Children into Amazing Adults.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

This is Kent, the Colts tenor tech (Colts 96-99). I am just dying to see this broadcast, and we have Mediacom (in Missouri...) but I've never heard of "Mediacom Connections." Is it possible this might air in my neighborhood, or will I be offering money to someone to tape it for me on the 29th?

Thanks!

KL

Anonymous said...

oooohhh maybe I should email mediacom then. After all isn't it is a great feeling to walk on onto the field for rehearsal and have little band kids say "hey I saw you on tv, you weren't wearing a shirt", oh really? (sarcasm off). You did a really good job with the broadcast and it's good to have a couple full length shows to get me through until the dvd's come out. My high school vis. tech was pretty awesome wasn't he?