Thursday, May 22, 2008

Report from Pre-Season Workshop

photo
Photo by David S.

Lori has sent a report from pre-season camp in Dubuque. Things are progressing nicely for the guard, percussion, and volunteers. But I'm sure they're all eager for the brass and the rest of us to show up Friday.

Lori said this morning that there about about 70 members at the workshop, so far. The guard and battery have been going to the fields during the day to practice. The pit has stayed at the housing site for rehearsal. And, yes, there are already sunburns.

The weather has been sunny but windy. A good way to start the week.
Lori says she hasn't had a chance to get out and watch the percussion but that the gaurd has been rehearsing some of the dance and equipment work.

Things seem to be progressing right along.

Lori and the rest of us send out our thanks to all the brass members who have showed up to help with meals. (Ross, Treavor, TJ, and Miho)

Others who are helping include: Paul R (Colt in 2006), Emily R (Colt 2005-06), Toby (Colt 2004-now), Pat R, Peggy F, Tammy M, Vicki D, Ray, David P, Terry L, Mike, and Kim.

Sorry if we missed any of the helpers. If we did, let us know and we'll send an update!


Here's the meals planned for the pre-season workshop. Looks like the best cooks in drum corps are having a bit of a pre-tour workout too.

Tuesday
Meal 1
Cereal and fruit

Meal 2
Turkey Sub
Chips
Snack bars

Meal 3
Lasagna
Garlic bread
Corn
Lettuce salad

Meal 4
Chicken Nuggets
Tropical fruit cup

Wednesday
Meal 1
Cereal
Muffins

Meal 2
Hot dogs
Pasta Salad
Veggies and dip


Meal 3
Chicken breast
Rice
Green Beans
Cake


Meal 4
Tacos
Fruit cup

Thursday
Meal 1
Cereal
Bagels

Meal 2
Hamburgers
Chips
Apples

Meal 3
Breaded Pork Patty
Cheesy Potatoes
Peas & Carrots
Pears

Meal 4
Sloppy Joes
Brownies

Friday
Meal 1
Cereal
Fruit

Meal 2
Ham Sandwiches
Orange Salad
Veggies & Dip

Oh, the significance of the photo? A semi-deserted Wal-Mart Superstore parking lot always reminds me of drum corps. What thing that you encounter in "real life" always reminds you of drum corps?


6 comments :

Bill said...

Here is one - everytime I take my socks off and I see the remnants of my "tour tan".

Bill

Alf said...

Argh ....!! Memories
Anyone seen the keys of the red van, we have to make a food run picking up 20 dzn eggs, 18 gallons of milk (skim, 1%, 2 %, nice Tea, lemons and honey ....)

O yes look for bread at Aldi's (Jim's favorit)

Alf said...

And for the Bartok crew

Did you see the chocolate shop.
Dipped in Strawberries, just along the road

Mis you all guys!
Lets start cookin'

Sebastian said...

Alf- That's my bad... I borrowed the red van to line the field that is 5 miles away and forgot to get the keys back...

The buses that I walk by and smell everyday remind me of tour...

|/\|Sebastian|/\|

GySgt Splitter said...

Every time we have a gig with our brass quintet we take the gray van, I drive it quite often. I always freak people out when I go flying around backwards, hey it's easy without a trailer on it! Also when we travel, of course we travel in a big tour bus, but lately I've been driving a big 3-ton box truck...that only goes 65 mph, downhill flooring it. But I can never stay with the convoy...ah well. I'm sad that I don't get to go to tour right now!

Jim J. said...

Aldi definitely reminds me of drum corps. The other day I saw a TV ad for Aldi, which was something new for me.

And now, my daily commute reminds me of corps, since twice a day I drive past the stadium where finals will be.