Thursday, June 18, 2009

Note from an alum/volunteer

Ashley Wilson was brave and kind enough to join the crazy Colts volunteers on tour for nearly a week in June. Even after she went home, she made pasta salad for 200 and brought it to the cooktruck to help feed the corps. And she shared her experience in a delightful note that we thought we'd share with you. Alums and other who have not yet volunteered take note:

As a 2002 member of the Colts, I have a deep admiration and appreciation of the things the members do on a daily basis. I still can't believe I survived that summer seven years ago!

But just last week, I gained a completely new and different appreciation of the drum corps activity. I *finally* volunteered to cook for the Colts for five days. I don't know which position is more grueling; member or cook! I wish I could call all of the cooks I had in 2002 and thank them for their hard work.

We were up at the break of dawn every day preparing hearty meals for the members. Our awesome head cook had to stay at least 2-3 meals ahead of the game in terms of planning and preparation, which is a job I don't think just anyone could handle! These parents and volunteers work non-stop (just like the members!) and have just as much fun building relationships and telling stories of years past. It was incredibly entertaining hearing "corps stories" from the cooks' perspective.

Cooking for the Colts was very hard work but one of the most rewarding volunteer experiences I've ever had. When the members come through the line and say "Thank you!" or "That was delicious," that makes all the hard work worth it. I'm just upset that it took me this long to decide to help out!

I encourage every alum/parent/music educator to come cook for the Colts, if even for just a day. Just like marching in a drum corps, it is truly a life-changing experience.

Ashley Wilson
Colts' Pit 2002
Proud Volunteer, Cornfield, 2009

1 comment :

Jim J. said...

That's great! It reminds me of why I come back year after year - even when my coworkers don't understand why I would do that on my vacation. Thanks, Ashley.