Thursday, June 05, 2008

Today is Thursday, June 5; it's a cornfield tour day

We are in Cresco, IA

Click for weather report and forecast


View Larger Map

Today's Menu
Meal 1
Egg bake
Hash browns

Meal 2
Burgers
Broccoli rice
Peaches (Somehow, after looking on the equipment truck yesterday, I knew there'd be peaches today)

Meal 3
Orange pork
Scalloped potatoes
Carrots

Meal 4
Pizza
Leftovers

photo
Photo by Rod R.

Today's Schedule
8:30 Wake
8:40 Stretch
9 Meal 1
10 Block 1
1:30 Meal 2
2:30 Block 2
6 Meal 3
7 Warmup
7:30 Performance
8:30 Ensemble
9:15 Stretch/warmdown
9:30 Snack/pack/load
11 Depart for Dubuque (scheduled arrival approx. 2 a.m.)

Today's Cooks
Lori C, head cook
Vicki D
Debbie L
Betty H (leaving today)
Dale C
Loras H
Leeta

Today's News
Happy Birthday Katie M!

There's actually sun out for the Colts today. Thanks, Cresco!

There were rain and storms last night for the bus trip from Delhi, but everybody got in fine and just about on time at 2:45 a.m. The Colts were out on the field this morning and hoped to get the remainder of the show on the field today if possible. If not, tomorrow for sure.

The weather held off yesterday in Delhi so the Colts got about 60 pages of drill done, pretty much making up for the time lost to showers this week. Way to go Colts.

I can tell you from being there, they covered a lot of ground on the field and in the dot books yesterday after they finally had the chance to use the football field. It all showed up magnificently last night in their dog and pony performance for the community. The stands were packed at the high school as the Colt Cadets and the Colts showed off their 2008 shows-in-progress. I'll tell you, both shows are something special.

The drill for the Cadets seems a little more ambitious this year, and the charts are rockin'.

If you loved them in '06 and '07, the Colts are going to blow you away in '08. They already have a presence and poise that fill the entire field. The show music is fun and familiar, but the arrangements take a new twist on the tunes. This show will make you smile. It will move you. Wait 'til this brass line blows you off the back of the stands. They showed some real power last night. Wow. And they'll again send the crowd home humming the melodies.

And they played Freebird as the encore. I was in heaven, as those of you who know me can imagine. Too bad I had to come home last night and go back to work this morning.

As always, check colts.org for the latest official word on tour news, housing sites, mail drops, or other corps information.

5 comments :

Alf said...

Yes make it even more harder for me describing this years show blowing you away. Makes me want to jump on a plain and come over.

I finally found a youtube movie from season opening in Dubuque earlier this year.
And I can only admit that again it is going to be an extraordinary show. Favorite music/composers ... classic in process.

Go and see them or you will miss it like I do

The show must have made the photographers enthusiastic ... way to go, "some" (many) great shots.

Hi to every one
Alf

P.s. I just discovered my mail address wasn't connected to my Alf blog account (fixed it now)
It was way to quiet ... that explains.

Alf said...

Pssst ... David ....
Freebird on Sarah Q's site

Anonymous said...

Okay...how cool is that picture of Keenan?

I can't wait to get back on tour - 9 days and counting.

Stay dry Colts - I think the rain is acommin to Cresco sooner than we think...the Colts should be good and clean after all the showers they have been going thru:).

Thanks for the great update David...I don't think any of us can get enough on what is going on.

Jody G.

Anonymous said...

This pot made me like totally stoked to be in Rockford for the first show! Thanks for keeping us up to date!! I have goosebumps up my spine just by reading the post! I can't WAIT till I see and hear the show!!!!

Jeff D.

Jim J. said...

Nice photos Ron and David! David, I liked the hats and some of the blurred flags. Rod you had some outstanding shots, and I love this photo of Keenan. Way to go... I've got my work cut out for me, to keep up with you!

Sounds like the show is coming along nicely. Wish I was there!